4.06.2010

yummy bundt cakes

Over the Easter weekend, we enjoyed pure breakfast cake deliciousness. I've had these recipes on reserve for a while, and I'm so glad two occasions arose so I could finally use them. They just happened to both be bundt cakes; I didn't plan that on purpose, but I think it's only fitting since I recently bought My Big Fat Greek Wedding. :)

#1: Blueberry Cream Cheese (original recipe here)

1 18.25 oz package white or French vanilla cake mix
1/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 8 oz package low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp vegetable or canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup blueberries (I used frozen, but you could also use fresh)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, cream cheese, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Stir in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

When this concoction came out of the oven, we were running late and I didn't have time to glaze it like I wanted to. I just sprinkled some powdered sugar on it instead, and it tasted great like that. If you want to try the glaze, this is what I was going to try: 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 T corn syrup and 2 T hot water.

#2: Glazed Lemon (original recipe here)

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (optional)

Glaze:
1 1/2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 T sugar
3 T melted butter
1/2 tsp lemon extract
couple drops of yellow food coloring

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk & lemon juice. Stir in lemon peel (or not; I'm not a huge fan of peel in breads). Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Place rack on waxed paper. 

Right before serving, mix the glaze and microwave it for about 30 seconds. Drizzle over each slice of cake right before serving. 

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

WrayLynn said...

Jenny - we made the blueberry one the other Sunday. The boys LOVED it! I showed them your picture and that I got the recipe from you. They said to thank you! They shared with their friends up the street.